Dual band 2m / 70cm radio.
Putting the Yaesu FT-8500 into extended receive mode
To extend the receive range to 500 MHz press the Home & Scan buttons while switching the radio on.
To extend the range to 999 MHz, first perform the above procedure, and then follow these steps:-
- Set the step size to 10 KHz from the menu
- Enter 530 MHz using the keypad
- Move down 10 KHz using the joystick
- Move up 1 MHz using the joystick
- Enter 917 MHz using the keypad
- Store the frequency in memory
- Extended RX/TX mod: http://www.radiomods.co.nz/yaesu/yaesuft8500.html
Replacing the internal battery
After a few years the internal battery runs down causing the radio to lose it's settings when unpowered.
I didn't have any suitable batteries available as it was a soldered in type of lithium cell.
So I replaced the soldered in cell with a wired in cell holder which holds a CR-2430 cell with a larger capacity so it needs replacing less frequently. I think the last time I replaced it was in 1999 and it's 2011 now!